Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Weekly Update #1


So, last week was not hard at all.  I had leftovers and 3 potluck dinners (which I did buy extra food to contribute to; I am trying my best not to be “cheap,” just frugal).  This week, though, I will only have one free dinner so it’s more of a challenge.  However, I was amazed at what I managed to buy at Kroger on Monday for a total of $20.27.

2 lb. ground turkey - $1.99 each
1 packet chili seasonings - $0.69
2 apples – $1.67
6 bananas – $0.87
1 lb. grapes - $2.01
2 bags frozen veggies - $1.00 each
1 can diced tomatoes - $0.67
½ gallon milk - $2.19
1 personal pizza (a Friday night treat!) - $1.34
1 can pasta sauce - $0.88
1 box whole grain noodles – $0.99
1 box granola bars (for breakfast) - $2.39

I’ll be using 1 lb. of the turkey to make chili (with all those beans I bought last week lol) and 1 lb. to make meatballs.

I am amazed because it seems like so much.  Safe, healthy food is so bountiful and cheap where I live.

This is not true for most places in the world.

I’ve been reading Kisses from Katie, the amazing story of a woman from Tennessee, about my age, who has become an adoptive mother of 13 girls in Uganda.  This book was highly recommended to me by a dear friend and fellow counselor from Camp Chestnut Ridge, and when I found out that another friend was reading it here in Athens, I asked to borrow it when she was finished.

Katie Davis inspires me, in the way she loves others and in the way she loves Jesus.  I don’t want my Lenten journey to just be for me: to just be about a feeling of solidarity and frugality.  I want to actually use my sacrifice (if you can call it that!) to help someone.  This week I’m going to donate the $20 I didn’t spend to her ministry, Amazima.  It’s not much, but in Uganda it can go far in feeding a hungry child.

Check out Katie's story!

No comments:

Post a Comment