Sunday, June 3, 2012


A full week of camp has already past and I have more than enough to write about.  For those who aren’t familiar with how this works, all forty-some counselors go through an intensive 24/7 two-week staff training where we live, work and play together.  We’ve already learned how to facilitate some activities such as the high ropes course, archery, and the pool party that goes down every Sunday night when kids first arrive at camp.  It has been crazy and fun and exhausting. 

My stomach was tied up in knots when I was about an hour from camp last Sunday.  I constantly battle the lie that no one really likes me, and after having not seen these people for a year (as well as the prospect of meeting new staff), I was terrified at the thought that I wouldn’t get a warm welcome.  I shouldn’t have been afraid.  I was greeted with excited hugs and smiles and questions about vet school.  Friendship has never come easy to me but I feel like I’ve been getting better, and I can honestly say that with both old and new staff I have made good first steps to genuine, deep friendship.  This past week at camp has affirmed that I’m growing and changing, and it’s so important.  In fact, I talked to one of my college friends (whom I will call “Disney”) tonight, and she told me that I seem so different – a lot more confident and better at communicating with people.

Our camp director gave us bags with this quote attached to them:
“We need holy friendships with people who are willing to challenge the sins we’ve come to love, affirm the gifts we’re afraid to claim, and dream the dreams we would not otherwise have dreamed.”  I don’t know who said it, but it’s so true.  I hope it happens this summer, because I feel like I can only give the kids what they need and deserve if my tank is full.

I know it will be a struggle, something that I must meet each day with courage and prayer.  It’s terrifically easy to believe no one cares about you and to dissolve into hopelessness.  It’s much harder to be hopeful and honest.  Something that can help are “Ebenezers.”  One of the camp chaplains gave us a talk about them the other day.  Ebenezer means “rock of help,” and the Israelites set up rocks at specific places to remind themselves of something amazing God had done for them.  We have Ebenezers of our own – a specific place, a gift from a friend – something tangible and physical that reminds us of an act of God.  I’ll be looking for Ebenezers at camp this summer and sharing some of them with you.

And now, some pictures from the camp farm for your enjoyment!


No comments:

Post a Comment